Monday, June 29, 2009

When the "Y" became superfluous (look it up)

In my last post (a whole 10 minutes ago) I talked all about Max. Well, now it's Maggies turn. I'm sure you all recall miss Maggie. She's a bundle of sass and spunk. She likes all things girly, purses, dresses, hair, shoes, etc. But here is the thing. Something happened in the last month or two. She GREW up on me. One night she went to bed all sweet and childlike and then woke up the next morning all five years oldish. Herein lies the title.

Maggie has always been a bright little girl, but apparently she's smarter than I thought. I mean look at her sporting my glasses.....brilliance eminates off her. Anyway here is the story. Completely on her own she named her binky "nummy". I don't know where that came from. I called it a binky from literally her inception. NEVER did I use the word nummy. So, we had her nummy, and her sippy, which frankly is just that...a sippy. And we are Mommy and Daddy, or at least we were. I noticed one day last week, on the way to Jennys that Maggie kept asking for her "num". I was a little confused as to what she meant, until finally it dawned on me what she was asking for....her nummY. Then, I realized that she'd been calling us Mom and Dad for several days. The next day, when she asked for her num again, and THEN had the audacity to ask for her "sip" I knew something was amiss. Overnight the "Y" in her speech had become superfluous. She had deemed it unworthy of her mature self. My baby and her cute speech was gone, kaput. She can't be bothered with ridiculous things like sippy, nummy or :sniff sniff: Mommy. So, it's pretty comical when she insists on her sip. Really, your "SIP"? That just doesn't even make sense. The cup is a sippy, that is just what it is. Oh well, Maggie knows best I guess. I blame older cousins, it has to be their fault right?


Perhaps all my book reading, and in turn all of Maggies book reading has pushed her maturity. HA! However, it must be noted that she does generally insist on a book being in the bed with her each night, and now at naptime too. I don't know why, it's not as if she can look at them in the dark. Perhaps she believes in the osmosis method.

Just such a typical shot of Miss Sassafrass. She has things to do and can't be bothered with me and my pesky camera. And now, I must admit something shameful. As you may or may not know, Jere is wont to use salty language. And, lest you think I'm completely innocent, I'm not. I too swear, not anywhere near as much as Jere, but more than I should. And I'm in a total shame spiral to admit that Maggie picked up on that and has developed her own little potty mouth. Well ok, she has one word she prefers and it's tragic, and it's funny, but bad. It started like this...one day as I literally smashed the living crap out of my big toe, I let out a big DammmmmmmmmmmmIT! It was at that moment that I saw my little girls brilliant little mind wrap around that word. She looked at me and said "dammit?" And then promptly said.."you ok Mommy?" So, that was that, or so I thought. A week or so later we were driving down the road when Maggie began saying something over and over. At first all I was gathering was that something was "broken" and then when I listened closer I realized that she was saying "oh dammit, it's broken." Over and over and over...."dammit, it's broken Mommy." After I got over the intial surprise, I giggled to myself and then I promptly said, "no no Maggie, we don't say that word. We say DARN it." She said, "OH, darnit." Then promptly said, "dammit, it's broken." Ok, so fast forward some days, or a week, and now she's droppin it in front of Gramma Peg, or wherever. The final straw came one morning as Jere and I were each standing at the kitchen counter doing whatever morning things we do. And from under and behind us we hear..."Dammmmit, my shoe fall off." I won't lie, we each looked at eachother with wide eyes, then broke out into a fit of giggles. (sometimes I think we're 12 year olds mascarading as parents). Once we got ourselves under control, we had a strong and loving talking to to potty mouth Magoo. We explained that that was really a bad word and she really could NOT use it. We use darn it, or shoot, or anything else. Apparently that got through to her and made sense, because (knock on wood) she has not dropped her D bomb in at least a week. Needless to say, I have been very careful about what I say, and I've admonished, begged Jere to pull it together and stop the swearing. I mean really, how embarassing.
Overall she makes each day a hoot. She talks so much and HEARS everything!! She LOVES her "Baxie" (Max). Every morning when I go in to get her, she usually greets me with a big hello and then informs me she's happy, "are you happy?, Bax is happy, daddy happy?" She makes me leave the light off because it's "too bright." She watches "Rella" daily and no matter where she is in the house, as soon as Cinderella starts running outside after the step sisters have ripped her dress apart, she gets a very concerned look on her face and says "Oh Mommy, running, sad, rella is sad." It cracks me up every time. I'm fairly certain that the greatest time (or at least MY favorite time of children) is from 18 months to 4 years old. I love this time of discovery, excitement, and hilarity. I freaking adore and love this girl, even though she is obstinate and extremely opinionated, she's beautiful and funny and makes every day fun.
Sass and swears,
Allyson

6 comments:

Lana said...

How funny that she is sort of associating the "y" at the end with baby talk or something. Is Aunt Jenny simply going to be Jenn now? I love the stories and pictures of her. And I love all the personality that is showing up in these little kids. Hilarious.

Dixiechick said...

Hmmmm, "obstinate and extremely opinionated" ...where on earth could she have gotten that? Crazy. She is quite mature. I'm telling you, she really does intimidate me with the looks she gives me.

Dropping the Y is funny. It reminded me that the other day I made chicken nuggets for the kids when Dane was over. He didn't eat with everyone and then came in 1/2 an hour later and said, "Hey, where's my chicking nugs?" NUGS? Apparently Lana said he refuses to say nuggets. Funny stuff.

Steph said...

Oh, my, I'm laughing so hard I'm about to cry! That is the funniest story ever. I've got to meet this girl sometime! (hope she doesn't teach my kids any new words!) :)

Tracie said...

hahaha I LOVE THIS! Totally reminds me of when lily would hear her dad curse, and immediately it was her new word. I did help teach her the word FORK, however it always sounded like the other 4 letter "F" word. ahhhh children....I LOVE TODDLERS!!!

Maile said...

Max repeats all our swears too! Also, I sometimes tell him things like "Get in the car! NOW!" So when he wants something, sometimes he'll say, "Donuts. NOW!"

The Fullmer Family said...

Love reading your stuff, Allyson! You have such a great way of writing and it's so fun to read and picture what's going on!!