Friday, October 7, 2011

The crud has attacked....

Maggie started it with a little bit of a wierd barky cough on Monday.  Not much else, but she also clearly wasn't fully at her "best." I awoke with my old enemy Helga firmly camped out on my upper lip (she's a cold sore that takes over the world).  Max on Wednesday had begun an even creepier bark cough and though clearly not all well, still crazy enough to run around and play and pretend he was fine.  My kids are really the wierdest sick kids ever.  For hells sake, Max had  chronic, recurrent ear infections from 3 mos. until 9 months and I NEVER knew it, except that we'd go in for a well check and the doctor would say...."Umm, he has a double ear infection."  Then we'd do round after round of anti biotics and he'd never get better.  But, he never, ever complained or acted sick.  Anyway...Max was running around outside half the afternoon yesterday, and after awhile of runing he'd say, "I can't breathe."  to which I'd reply..."No joke Sherlock, you sound like you're sucking mud."

Fast forward.......put him to bed at 8:30ish.  Had my book club ladies over for a delightfully fun evening of laughing, talking, discussing, etc.  People ask what book we read, or discussed and I just giggle.  This year, books have become completely optional.  Mostly, it's just an excuse to get together and hang out, eat and laugh once a month.  So, we're all talking away and close to 11:00 Max came out of his room and his breathing was sick.  Terrifying really.  He really sounded like he was trying to breathe through a bucket of sand.  He didn't cry, he didn't say much of anything, just wanted me to hold him.  Emily said her boys had both had croupe last week and he sounded just like them.  We talked all about what to do, what the doc said, etc.  So, I held him upright for a long time.  Eventually his breathing calmed down, quieted down and  he fell back asleep.  I propped pillows under him and put him back to bed.  About FOUR more times in the night after that he got up, peed and sounded just as awful.  It scared Jere so bad he said he'd take him to the emergency room right then.  I convinced him THAT was unncecessary, but that I'd go to Urgent Care first thing in the morning.

So, Max woke up at 7:30, we threw clothes on and off we went.  Sure enough....severe croupe, AND ear infection.  Maggie, well the doc thought she seemed just fine.  Maybe take some over the counter cold medicine.  But Max was prescribed steroids and an anti-biotic.

We finally made it home around 10:30 and at that point I was feeling EXTREME exhaustion and freezing.  We came in, and I just fell into bed.  I was so cold and soooooo tired, I couldn't possibly stay awake, and my stomach hurt.  I laid there awhile, until Maggie came in and tugged at me and said "MOMMY, it's NOT naptime yet, and we're starving.  Feed us something.  We haven't eaten any breakfast or lunch.  We want cereal."  It took me quite a few minutes, but I finally dragged myself out of bed and procured there eats.  She ate cereal, Max had yogurt and apple juice (that kid LURVES him some yogurt).  I managed to eat a brownie.  Literally that is the ONLY thing I have even been able to THINK about eating all day.

I turned on a kids show for them and then....put on my pj's and fell back into bed.  Maggie came in at one point, decided to put on her pj's and wanted to snuggle.  It didn't last long, and she was gone.  I may be admitting my crappy motherness here, but, I fell asleep.  When I woke up an hour later, I thought....."it's really quiet, wonder what the kids are doing."  Then I heard Max cough a few times, and his icky breathing. 

I got up, and looked in their room.  At that moment my heart may have simultaneously melted and broken at the same time.  At some point, they had put themselves to bed and both were soundly sleeping.  Seriously, I can't take the sweetness and sadness of that picture in my head.  Bless their hearts.

So, now, me, my freezing body, churning intestines and GIANT cold sore the size of Texas that is eating my face will go back to bed until the kids wake up.

Getting "the crud" really sucks.  Here is to hoping the meds work quickly, and that all of us are back to our normal "chipper" selves soon.

Barking and Moaning,


P.S.  Jere shaved his entire head last night.  DISTURBING!  He looks wierd, I'm having a hard time accepting the new look.  But, he did it to show love and solidarity to SueAnne, our boss.  She's in chemo and has lost her hair.  So, it's for a sweet cause.  I will have to post a picture later.

P.P.S  Thank you all SO MUCH for the sweet congrats and well wishes on the new baby in mah belly.  It meant so much to get so many excited and positive comments.


The Wizzle said...


That crud sounds nasty. Devlin had croup a couple of times, and while he never had to be medicated or hospitalized, I know the breathing sound and am imagining it amplified for Max. Scary!

And I didn't know SueAnn was sick! Crap crap crap. Cancer can KISS MY ASS, is what. I am so f-ing sick of it invading the lives of people I love. >:/

The Wizzle said...

Oh, and I nap all the time and just leave my kids to fend for themselves. Yep, I sure do, and not just when I'm sick either. They'll be fine, as evidenced by their insanely angelic behavior.

Krystal Trapnell said...

Unfortunately, we deal with croup quite a bit here. Carter was in the hospital with it last year, and so now I'm really on top of it once it starts. I have prednisone in my cupboard and as soon as he starts sounding nasty, we start on that right away. It makes such a big difference and he has yet to get bad again. I hate it! I'm hoping he outgrows it soon! Hopefully the steroids help and Max gets better soon!

✩Molly✩ said...

YAY BABY!!!!!!!!! I'm so bad a reader I didnt know!!! For Maggs i would reccomend children's Zyrtek... its allergy medicine and is awesome stuff for the yuckies (ages 2+) I would also reccomend for Max a miraculous essential oil complex called Breathe... Do any of your friends sell or buy Doterra products... it will clear up that congestion and help his breathing immensely!! Joe hasn't been able to sleep in my bed hardly since we got married and has been able to now with the help of that magic oil!!

The Bipolar Diva said...

Sorry I've been gone so long! School is kicking my backside this term! Sorry about all the ickies, That REALLY sucks, Wishing you all well soon! And new baby??!?!?! I need to go back and read!

alison said...

ugh....we have avoided the crud somewhat so far. but i know it's coming. it always does. i hope that everyone gets to feeling better soon! and if it helps....i sprouted a gigantico zit (i know...what am i? 13 again???) on the side of my chin and i feel like the wicked witch of the west over here. the LEAST this thing could have done was wait til halloween so i could have incorporated it into my costume or something ;)

The Atomic Mom said...

James had cropue in February and we did end up in the ER. It was plenty scary to say the least. I hope we can avoid that this winter.

I am truly dreading this winter and all of the germyness that it entails...serioulsy. Can we have call in church?

I didn't know SueAnne was in chemo. I'm sorry to hear that. Give her a hug from me.

Greg and Tammy said...

Oh dear! Hope it wasn't book club (and my costume) that put you all over the edge! I really hope you all start feeling better soon. I seriously think it should be against life rules for Mom's to get sick. It's horrendous.