Tuesday, May 13, 2008

MY DAD

I realize that it was JUST Mother's Day and I should be doing some entry on my Mom. Trust me, I could do a whole entry on my Mom, she's amazing in every way and I love her immensely. However, tonight I'm choosing to write about my Dad. You see, I have an amazing Dad. He is brilliant, hard working, funny, fun, loving, righteous and so much more. I always feel these things for him, but it's times like this that you really stop and think about how much you love someone. See, two weeks ago my Dad was diagnosed with renal cancer. It came completely out of the blue, and sort of just makes you go WHOA! So, today my Dad had his left kidney removed, as that was the one with the cancerous growth. Through this all I've felt very calm and at peace. I'm SURE that he will be fine. However, there is always that "chance" that something could go wrong. Anyway, the surgery went very well, and the Doctors are VERY optimistic. They say that it was completely contained, and doesn't appear to be in any lymph nodes. Now we're just waiting to hear the pathology report to know where we go from here. Apparently he's in IMMENSE pain, which I can only imagine, since they've yanked an important body part from him. I feel bad that he's having to suffer, but I'm so grateful for the miracle of modern medicine and the hope it offers us. I just want my Dad to know that I love him so much, and that I'm looking forward to many more years of Boggle, chats, babysitting, laughing and more.

Love you Dad!!

5 comments:

Mel said...

praying for your family.

Andrea said...

Wow! It is so hard I always knew our parents would get old, I just never thought about the trials that would come with their ages. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Tara L. Stradling said...

Oh my stars. I'm so sorry to hear that! I didn't like to hear that.

He and your family are all in my prayers. Love you Allyson...

Rocketgirl said...

What a sweet entry about your dad! It must be wonderful to know how much his daughter respects and loves him. I tend to agree with you on the "everything will be fine!" side. Be happy!

And I hope you keep blogging - I REALLY do! I'm so excited to get some Als back!!

alison said...

allyson,
where have you been? I've searched high and low for you and decided I would find you here?! Beautiful family! keep in touch,
alison