Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Baby Story

Ahhhhhhhhhh....that is the collective sigh of joy and relief you're all doing because I am FINALLY making this entry. I know, I know. It's just that it takes time, and thought and energy. All of which I'm rather short on these days, let's just be honest. Holy CRAP I'm tired. But, enough complaining, noone cares about that.

So, without further ado....I give you OUR BABY STORY.

On Monday the 20th we went in to Banner Desert to be induced. We wandered in to the lobby where we were greeted by the lady at the desk. We told her we were there to be induced. She promptly picked up her phone, and in a soothing tone purred into the other end...."your 12:00 induction is here." She then informed us that admitting was ready for us, a we could step through that door to see them. After a brief, yet lovely meeting with admitting we were sent back out to the lobby to wait for our nurse to fetch us. In less than 2 seconds, our nurse was there and we were "whisked" off to our birthing suite. At this point, I was half expecting them to give us mani-pedis and offer us some spritzers, it was just so "relaxing" and such. I proceeded to disrobe and put on my lovely hospital gown and get to know Suzan our delightful and hilarious nurse. After a little waiting, and a call to my Doctor, it was determined that I would just start the petocin drip. So, at about 1:15 the petocin began. It was a slow process, because they start the drip at a very low number. At first it was just Jere and I, then about 3:00 his sister Julie showed up with some card games and chips. And now..a photo.

This is me, in the rocking chair, just waiting for something to happen. And, trying to move things along.

Shortly after this photo, I was playing a rousing game of Phase 10 with Jere and Julie and my nurse came in and said, "you are NOT in the birthing zone, this will not help you." Oh my gosh, I totally forgot to tell you the funniest part. After I got settled in, Suzan (the nurse) asked if I needed anything, like water, etc. I said, I'd take a water. She said, "are you sure, I make a mean cranberry gingerale spritzer, a Suzan special." With that said, how could I turn her down? So, she did indeed bring me a spritzer and it was delish. Anyway, back to my story. I immediately gave up the game and tried to visualize, so i could be in the birth zone. I mean, hey, I was more than ready to get this thing done.

Ok, LONG story not short enough, around 5:15 my adorable doctor stopped in and said, "let's break your water." I said, "let's, 'cause I'm ready to get this show on the road." At this point the petocin was up pretty high and I was having some pretty painful contractions. HOLY CRAP contractions are painful. But, I'm a rock star and I could handle it. So, he disappeared and my contractions increased. Mind you, I came in that day already at a 5 almost. When they checked me at this point, still at a 5. UGH! So, as the pain increased, I caved and said, let's get this epidural STAT!! At just after 6:30 the doc came in and did the epidural. She was a great doc, really funny. Let's just say I got it JUST in time, 'cause WOW!! The nurse checked me at 7:00 and I was at a 6, woo! I was so irritated, 'cause hello, let's have a kid already. So, meantime, my parents show up, and my sister Dana was there. I don't think I can have a kid without Dana there, she's my "peace" and again with the wise one. Ok, just before 8:00 Jere and his sis go out to find his Mom, and my nurse had been sent to dinner. Well, 8:00, the doctor rolls in and says "what is taking you so long, I thought you were a fast laborer?" I said I was, I didn't know the issue. So, he decides to check me, and wouldn't you know it, there was a head crowned. I was feeling SO GOOD from the epidural, I had no idea. I had transitioned from a 6 to a 10 in about 40 minutes. So, he says, "let's do this." I was like, "WAIT, we need Jere, and my nurse." So, they called for the nurse over the intercom in the hospital, Dana called Jere and everyone made it JUST in time. Literally, the doctor said push and I kid you not, in half a push, I felt the pressure change, and I was like, "uh, did I just have a baby?" And everyone said, "um yep, that's a baby." My doctor was duly impressed. So, I totally didn't feel like I even "earned" him, he just sort of fell out if you will. Apparently my afterbirth did too, 'cause I ddin't have to push for that either. It was amazing.

Max was adorable and amazing right off the bat. He had huge red lips, all pouty and cute. A perfect little round head and big eyes. He weighed 8 lbs. 6 oz. which is respectable. We are truly in love. He's very mellow and sweet, a lot like his sister. Yet, he does cry a little more and he has this wierd thing where he wants to eat all the time. haha Maggie was NOT like that, so it's a new experience.

Ok, pictures.

THAT is my Bubbers. They always look so big in these first pics. Then, you get then you get them home and they have bird legs and arms and are so tiny.

This is Maggie meeting Max for the first time. It was seriously adorable and so sweet. She just wanted to pet him and hold him and was soooo sweet with him. She's been so great with him, it's absolutely amazing to me the "growing up" that happens and understanding that she seems to have.

Heading home, let the good times begin.

Our Bubbers...Maximus Prime, or just MAX! By the way, his umbillacle cord fell off at 4 days old. He's got jaundice, and I'm hoping that it'll go away in the next day or so. I'm so ready for his eyes to not be yellow.
Sorry this is so long, congrats if you made it through.


LadyCarma said...

You crack me up! Thank's for a well told story. Aren't birthing stories just the best (we mothers say - guys "not so much")? I had similar experiences with the nursing checking, saying I was at a discouraging low number, then the doctor walks in, says let's get this done, checks and says: "Take her to the delivery room"! Amazing what a difference. Great pictures, and so sweet with Maggie and Max - great names.

Jenn said...

That was a great story. You are a good writer. I am so glad that everything went so well. He is adorable! I can hardly wait to meet him in person. Congratulations!

Mel said...

beautiful! You write the best blogs! The picture of Maggie with Max is so precious. I'm hoping Miss O at least stops biting/scratching/pinching/hitting/yelling long enough to snap a few cute pictures. You guys are so blessed. He is the sweetest little guy.
It was great to see you guys the other night. I was amazed at how quickly you all seem to have adjusted. I want to be like you when I grow up :)

Susan said...

Congratulations Allyson. He really is adorable-smooch him lots.

Steph said...

Congrats! He is so cute. And you looked fabulous leaving the hospital from just having a baby!

Andrea said...

Hooray! He is here! What a handsom little guy! Enjoy him because you know they grow way to fast! Congratulations!

Greg and Tammy said...

I made it through the whole thing and loved every second. Why are birth stories so fun? Anyway, I hate people like you that don't have to push, but I'm also happy for you that you didn't have to push. :) He is such a doll.

Dixiechick said...

The best part of this post....

"And now...a photo."

That was funny. Owen keeps asking me "What's funny about?"

alison said...

Yeah! He's here! I have laughed at some of your comments as I recalled my pregnancy with Jacob--a whopping 9 lbs 6 oz. Yes, you feel huge and abnormally uncomfortable! I am glad all went well--he's beautiful! enjoy being the mama of 2 little ones. They will be the best little buds!

Andersonland said...

Ok. so this is the time when I really wished we lived closer (because face it you are one of my BFFs and I wish you were closer all the time...). I would totally have you come and play cards with me while I am on my pitocin drip, and and sing show tunes with me. :)