Friday, February 12, 2010

Family picture wall...budget style

The alarm clock went off just after 5:00 and literally scared the poopadoodle out of me! I couldn't get to it fast enough, it's soooo loud and sooo offensive in every way. After turning it off, I pondered the meaning of life, and wrestled with going or not. The devil won, or my inner voice gave me warning (I prefer to look at it that way) and I didn't go. At precisely 6 a.m. Maggie started crying, a wierd cry, but it was insistent. So, I wandered in to her room to see what was wrong, help her, make sure she didn't wake Max, whatever. Apparently, though she WAS crying, she wasn't fully awake, because when I came in and touched her, it scared the CRAP outta her. She jumped a mile high and then cried some more. So, I tried valiently to calm her, picked her up and carried her into my room. Point of the story? Maggie is sick. She's had a random fever for the last couple of days, sort of here and there at 101. I'd give her motrin, it'd go away and she'd play the day away like nothing. But, a cough has developed and this morning, she was burning up and totally bawly and wierd. I tried to give her medicine and she fought me off with the strength of 10 men, all the while YELLLING, "I don't want that." You'll be glad to know I apparently have the strength of 11 men and the pluck that I WON and she DID take that medicine. But, no amount of sweet talking, reasoning, holding, snuggling, could get her to stop crying, and or demanding things and yelling. Needless to say, Max woke up, and I knew I was in for a "fabulous" sort of day. Why is it that MY sick kid has to be the demanding, bawling type, instead of the cuddly whimperer? It figures.


She looked a bit like this, minus the tutu and crown. But, you get the idea. I have a prima donna sick kid. Good news is.....after the medicine took effect (THANK YO MOTRIN) she is much nicer and now playing. I just hope that whatever this is will run its course quickly and we'll be back to sunshine and flowers soon.

Ok, now, to the topic at hand. When it was time to decorate for Christmas, i found myself in a quandry. I no longer had a mantle and was therefore screwed out of one of my favorite decorating places. So, out of necessity is born motivation. I had my shelf from my kitchen that no longer had a home, since my new kitchen had no wall for said shelf. The shelf had been sitting forlornly out in my shed, waiting for some love. Truth be told, I HATE painting things and prepping, etc. However, as I said, there were Christmas decorations that needed a home, and really, my wall above the couch needed the shelf anyway. SO, enter spray primer and spray paint. HELLO, why have I not used this genius method on everything before? Spray paint is the way to go. In seriously 20 minutes, with NO sanding I might add, I had a fabulously repainted shelf. I hung it on the wall and enjoyed it's Christmas splendor. Well then Christmas was over, NOW WHAT? I had no money to buy decorations, and frankly, I had no idea what to put on it. But, again, when you HAVE to get something done, you get it done. I went on a treasure hunt through my house and found a few items and did it up. Thanks to Jenny D. for the pretty red box of caramels for Christmas, as it makes a lovely little plant box now on the shelf.


BEFORE:

I've had this "print" since we got married and it hung over our bed. It was the largest picture I owned, so therefore, by default went over the couch when we moved in. Then, after we got our family pictures done, Jere really wanted them put over our couch. I was SURE that blowing up a pic to 20x30 or 16x20 would be too expensive. NOT TRUE! To get a 16x20 (my resolution was too low for a 20x30) at Costco was ONLY $5.99. SCORE! So, I had a large pic made and then 4 8x10's. I went to Fallas Paredes (GENIUS store, all should go, because it's INSANELY cheap) and got 4 frames for 2.99 a piece and they're nice frames. Went to Kohl's which as you know is eternally "on sale" and picked up the large "letter" V for 7 bucks and the big 16x20 frame for 20 bucks. Came home, framed up the pictures, laid out a plan and this is my result.

AFTER:




In the end, I'm pleased enough with the outcome. There is definitely some tweaking I'd like to do to the shelf, and even with the wall, but overall, not bad.

Picture frames and demanding divas,

Allyson

9 comments:

Lana said...

The family picture wall is cute indeed. I wish I had some creativity for the massive brown wall behind my couch. I have 1 family picture blown up to a 16x20 size, but no frame and nothing else to go around it. sigh. Yours is cute and fun. :)

Jenn C. said...

I LOVE it! Is there anything you can't do? Good luck with Maggie. I hope she gets better soon!!!

jen said...

The wall is even better in reality. And I thought I'd informed you of the sheer joy found inside a can of spray paint--especially for black or white. Especially.
Tuck's being weird the last few days. He didn't get asked to Sadie's and it's really gotten him down, especially since most of his friends are girls. I don't get it. Anyway, he's over singing, huh? Interesting. Not making regionals was an humiliating blow, to say the least. Don't know how to snap him out of this one . . .
When is Jere doing Annie? Lily would love to audition. Don't know about Annie, but she already knows Molly backwards and forwards. She's a little hard at taking direction, if you know what I mean . . . :) kinda like her brother that way.
Stop on by the garage sale. There's a lot of good stuff that I just don't want hanging around any more--tchotchkes and boy clothes and . . . stuff.

The Coolest Allen Family said...

I love it! It is gorgeous! It makes me want to update/decorate something.

Silky Smooth and the Night Rangers said...

DISCLAIMER!!! - This is probably the most gay thing I've ever typed out. You have been warned.

The Picture wall is Ubber Fab! Love it.


@ Jenny Denton... Why you gotta wait till I'm nowhere near to have a garage sale? Hope it's a blast even though I know it's timing was a personal slight.....

Silky Smooth and the Night Rangers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greg and Tammy said...

Looks great!! Hope Maggie gets feeling better soon!

DianD said...

Cute wall! How did I miss it when I came the other day! :( Once again my haptic side must have been in full swing. Hope Maggie is better. Not an ear ache or anything is it? Hope not!

Lizard said...

Love it!! Wicked cute! And I have an obsession with letters. I get an "H" anytime I see one. I don't know what to do with them, but I love them!