Thursday, March 26, 2009

Another Recipe

Apparently I'm a total wannabe food blogger. But, like I said, when you've got some great recipes and they're so super yum, AND easy, you just gotta share. So, this little gem is a combination of 2 recipes I came across. One was for a pork chop caserole. I know right? I found that in the paper and was so fascinated with the concept of a casserole, I clipped it and tried it. It was ok, but my way of making it is better. The second recipe is for sweet and sour chicken, found on Kitchen Cafe blog. It is GREAT, but it's a little more labor intensive, in the fact that you have to stir the chicken every 15 minutes for an hour. Who has time for that? So, I took the sauce from there and combined it with part of the pork chop recipe and voila, you have HEAVEN. Seriously, this has become a favorite meal of ours, and really, it's VERY simple (have I mentioned I don't do anything unless it's super easy), fairly quick and TASTY!!!



Sweet & Sour Porkchops

I use the thin cut boneless pork tenderloin chops, although the regular boneless pork tenderloin chops are just fine too. With the thin cut I just get to cut out one step. If you use the regular chops, you need to butterfly them (not hard, just hold one side and cut across the middle until you're almost to other side, when you lay it open it looks like a butterfly, sort of). ANWAY, this is also a cheap meal. I got 8 chops for $7.00, sometimes you can get them cheaper. The only thing with the thin cut is, if you have someone with a hearty appetite, they'll want to eat two.

8 boneless pork chops (or more, or less)

1/4 c. olive oil

3-4 cloves crushed or minced garlic (I use the stuff you buy in a jar, which comes out to 2 tsp.)

1 c. flour for dredging

Salt and Pepper to taste

Sweet & Sour sauce:

I ALWAYS double this recipe, because I prefer to have a good amount of sauce covering the chops and then to put on the rice afterward. Besides, it's super yummy sauce, so the more the better.

3/4 C. sugar

4 Tbl. Ketsup

1/2 C. white vinegar

1 Tbl. soy sauce

1 tsp. garlic salt

put all ingredients in a bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved.

Cut off any extra fat from chops (there is usually very little). Sprinkle salt and pepper over chops, then dredge in flour.

Sear the porkchops in the olive oil and garlic until brown, about a minute or two on each side. Don't let the garlic burn.

Place the browned chops in a casserole dish. Pour the sweet and sour sauce over the chops, and if you like, you can add a can of crushed pineapple as well. I've done it with the pineapple and it's good, it's just not the way we love it.

Bake at 350 for one hour,until chops are tender. See how easy? Throw it in and don't think of it again for an hour.

Serve over rice.

I PROMISE you'll enjoy this dinner! The chops are usually so tender you don't even need a knife. The sauce is tangy and sweet and it's filling.

Again, LET me know if you make it and what you think. Nothing makes me happier than people discovering something new and delicious.


Dinner time and divine eats,
Allyson

No comments: