Monday, March 21, 2011

Trash to Treasure Tuesday Super Post

Alrighty friends....today you're getting a "three-fer".  Can you stand it?  THREE projects in one day.  Don't get used to it.  It's just that I have ulterior motives.  I'm showing you these three (small projects) because they lead up to a FINAL reveal of my bedroom completely 100% finished.  Yeah, I know.  Try not to pee your pants with the anticipation.
(as always, click on the pics to see them larger)

First I give you my dresser mirror.  After having nothing there for weeks, and not having any luck finding anything at the thrift stores, and just not sure what to do;  I finally gave in and just took my old mirror apart and painted it and then leaned it on the dresser.  I sorta lurve it a lot.

BEFORE:
Three fold, attached to the dresser, sorta heavy and klunky.  Oh, and perhaps a bit cluttered.  Whatevs.

AFTER:

Oh hello!
Lovity love love!

Just a closeup shot of some of the glazing detail.

Alright, moving on.  As you know, Jere was all up in arms about not having a lamp of his own.  So, imagine my delight when I meandered into Goodwill one morning on a super whim and found him a lamp.  It was sitting by itself up front with no price on it.  After looking around the store and finding nothing, I gravitated back to that lamp.  There was no price on it.  I asked the guy if he just wanted to give it to me for $1.00 since it WAS dollar day.  He said he couldn't do that, but that generally he prices lamps like that for 4.99.  NOT true.  Every lamp in that place is at least 9.99.  BUT, i was not gonna fight him on it.  So, for $4.99 I got the lamp, shade AND lightbulb.  AWESOME!

BEFORE:

So clearly green wasn't gonna work.  But the shade was even a greyish/purpley color.  I busted out my sample of my wall paint and started painting.  And it looked fine, but then there was more I needed to do to it.  I thought crystals, but no.  I bought trim, but no.  Finally, I just recovered the lampshade.  And let me just say, I had NO idea what I was doing.  I made it up as I went.  And stayed up until 2 a.m. doing it.  In the end, it looks pretty good (IF you don't look too closely).

AFTER:


A fun little touch in the man corner.  All for about Seven bucks and a crapload of patience on my part.  P.S.  I did that frame too.  It used to be green.

Finally.  Remember my boredom post a couple back? Stuck in a room for 2 hours with nothing to do? Remember how  I wandered over to the Goodwill and it was a bust.  Well.....it wasn't a complete bust.  There were two berry wreaths hanging forlornly on the corner of a rack.  They were really ugly, but they caught my eye.  For $3.99 I picked up two of them not sure what I was gonna do, but something was percolating in my head.

BEFORE:

I suppose if you're into Fall themes, this was fine.  But, not so much for me.

Soooo, I took a little spray paint to it.  And some craft paint and a little ribbon.


There she is, all white and nerdy.  I mean PURDY!

Why yes, I DID let my 3 year old help paint.  She was in HEAVEN and thought she was So, SO important for getting to help me.  I used metallic silver craft paint and then a FEW little bops of the green/blue color from my nightstand and mirror (that is what Maggie painted).

And what we got here is.....

AFTER:


 

Won't lie.  It makes my heart happy.  I got a piece for my wall for a grand total of $5.00.  Five bucks people.  Ok fine, maybe closer to SIX.  And with that, my room is COMPLETE!

But, since this is too long as it is.  I shall save the final pics for tomorrow.  Look for them.  Listen....the five people that ever actually visit me in person don't care about my room anymore.  I need to show SOMEONE.  So, just humor me.  Mmmk?  MmmmmK!

Plus, I'm SUPER excited to show you my kitchen table re-do next week.

Crafts my Crack addiction,

Allyson

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

allyson, you are seriously so crafty! teach me your ways!

Kristina P. said...

Nice! I think I love the wreath the most.

Cookie Mama said...

You need to have a Trash to Treasure class! I'll be the first one to sign up! Tour of your fab room, field trip to Goodwill, demo of how to glaze. Think of all the homes you would be improving! I love the wreath & the lamp! You are amazingly talented Allyson.

Nikki said...

LOVE all three of your makeovers, I am excited to see your table, that is on my list too. I have the paint, I just need to do it.

jen said...

You are seriously on crack.
You need an intervention?
I can't believe you let Maggie paint. I could never do that with a three-year-old.

Cooper Crandell said...

And the amazingness continues! Way to go. Love your ability to see the treasures in the trash! That's a true gift!
Love ya...

alison said...

okay...seriously, if i don't end up getting a 360 view a la HGTV, i am going to be UPSET. you hear me???? ;)

erin said...

ooo the lamp! i love! good work girl!

Lana said...

okay, the lamp is super great--I love the fabric.

And the wreath is kind of exactly what I was wanting, but I need it to be a color. Perhaps black with silver balls sporadically placed. ?? But yeah, nobody is selling anything even close to cute like that on Etsy. I looked all day.

Well done.

Greg and Tammy said...

Pretty amazing stuff Allyson!!!

Ryan and Lori Jones said...

wow! that looks so awesome! So when r u coming to my house to redo my master bedroom?!