Tuesday, March 1, 2011

TRASH TO TREASURE TUESDAY

Well, it's official.  I've become obsess-ed with buying/finding trash and re-creating it.  I might say it's a bit of a problem, as we have NOWHERE to put anything extra, and yet, it's stacking up all around me.  The thrill of the hunt is just so much fun.  And now, I have this grand idea to sell my "treasures."

Thus is "Trash to Treasure Tuesday" born.  I'm gonna show you one of my projects each week, until I run out.  Which frankly, could totally happen sooner than later.

This first piece is truly trash.  As in, my Mumsy was out for a spin in her neighborhood and saw this chair on the side of the road with a "free" sign attached.  She hightailed her heiny home and gave me a jingle-lingle.  She asked if I'd be interested in a free chair.  And since I'm, you know....on a new kick, I said "heck to the yes."  She then zipped back around the block, threw the chair in her car and brought it home.

Later that day I stopped by to pick up the "piece."  Whilst it is VERY sturdy and actually quite awesome, it was also at least 100 degrees of disgusting.  When I vacuumed up the seat later, you can imagine the dry heaving and near vomiting that was happening at the shear volume of pet hair that was stuck to my vacuum brush.  GAG.  I'm sort of heaving right now at the memory.  And there was a faint stank on it too.  Not to mention water stains, numerous spider colonies, etc.  It was guh-ross.  BUT, I saw her potential.

At first, I thought I'd do it in turquoise, as that is allllllll the rage these days.  But, when I went to buy paint, a little furniture voice in my head said  "no kimosabe, this chair shall be red."  I could even see the fabric I wanted to cover it with (which tragically was NOWHERE to be found, but whatevs).  So, red it was.  I started painting it in overcast weather, and that my friends makes for MUCH longer drying times.  As in FOREVER!  So, over the course of 3 days I painted, re-painted and upholstered the chair.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty pleased with the transformation.

BEFORE:

I wish I didn't suck so bad at taking good pictures.  But you get the idea.

AFTER:

ZING!  and a POW!
And for a grand total of $10.00.
THAT'S a bargain!

So.......there it is.  My first literal piece of trash, turned to treasure.  Now I'm gonna sell her.  Not sure how much to price her for.  And Jere wishes we could have chairs just like this in our kitchen.  Which means.....I'm gonna re-paint our kitchen table and chairs and buy more of this fabric and make chair cushions.  WHO AM I?

Now, because I'm me, and one is NEVER good enough.  I AM gonna show you one minor little project I worked on this week.

I've had this jewelry box since about the dawn of time.  And if you don't believe that, well then, I've had it since I was at least 14.  It has studiously and loyally stood on the edge of my dresser for 24 years.  I'm not kidding either.  The whole time it lived in my bedroom at the parentals it sat on the right side of the dresser, nearest my makeup/hair area.  Once we moved into our own place, it has lived on the left side of the dresser.  Such a good little box.

BUT, with the room re-do, there is no room for anything the ugly color of wood. Besides, do you have ANY idea how freaking expensive a jewelry box is?  SHEESH!  Anyway, as it stared me down day after day, i knew I MUST do something about it.  But what?  It only took me THREE trys, but I finally got it right.

First I painted it super white and distressed it.  HATED IT!
Then I repainted it super white and free handed some vines/flowers.  TOTES AWFUL looking.
FINALLY....I repainted it in Heirloom white to match the dresser it now sits on and then I found some great scrapbook paper and exactoed the crap out of it and then modge podged it on.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  Now it looks like it belongs in the room.

BEFORE:
Please no judging for the years of neglect, and hairspray buildup. EWWW!

AFTER:

 


Until next time my friends........

Trashily yours,

Allyson

14 comments:

The Atomic Mom said...

Holy cute CHAIR. And kimosabe, if you want to know, turquoise and red are very good together. But that red, she is tres bon.

You girly, girl are fantastic on the projects. Serioulsy, I wish I could come and do this with you.

alison said...

i love the jewelry box with the love of a thousand hearts. it is MUEY chic! (and yes, i'm fully aware that i just melded two completely different languages there....but as you well know, i am QUITE the world traveler these days!).

what i love more? the fact that your brain refers to you as "kimosabe" too ;) the chair is rockin' and i think the red is gorgeous! you are inspiring me to decorate the house i don't have yet with trash to treasures.

Kristina P. said...

Will you please come to my house and make me a headboard?

Peggy Van Patten said...

The chair is BEAUTIFUL Suggestion.... instead of selling it. This could be the start of YOUR NEW KITCHEN SET ! The new thing (at IKEA and everywhere is mismatched chairs.) Different styles & colors. REALLY COOL ! And when you find that PERFECT TABLE --- VOLLA Your original design will be PERFECTLY COMPLETE ! I can see it now.

Anonymous said...

ALLYSON! Oh my goodness do I miss having voice lessons with you and wasting half of it just talking to you! This definitely made me feel better. You are so dang crafty! I love the chair and everything that you're doing with your house. You are AMAZING!

Jen West said...

i. love. it... them.

saturday, i went to a rummage sale and saw an old cupboard type thing that was a cool shape with great details and handles and i seriously thought of buying it and having you help me re-do it. hee heee hee

Tucker said...

I would just like to interject that I love you so dang much Allyson. So dang much. Else I would not follow your TLC-infested blog.

With all manner of love and stuff,
Your favorite student ever,
Seriously though,
Tucker

Kellie said...

Those are a.ma.zing. Seriously, AMAZING! (and thanks for being a true friend, it's good to know who's got my back)

The Wizzle said...

The chair looks awesome! I was at Goodwill this morning and I didn't see you. That's good, because you probably would have fought me over the *awesome* nightstand that I scored. I'm having a pro redo this one for me, though!

Lana said...

yowsa! that is super cute! And your jewelry box is wayy cute. Now your next assignment is to come over and redo my dresser in my bedroom. k thanx.

TornadoTwos said...

Wow, you really have a knack for this! Everything looks so good, you really could sell them. Imagine, making money at something you enjoy doing- what could be better?

Bree Flake said...

Hey there it's Brianne Flake (Brenda Blau's daughter) I just wanted to say that you freakin cute trashy transformations are awesome. Say Hi to your hubby for me!!

Steph said...

Love the red chair. Just might hafta hire you out if we ever buy a house, hee hee.

The burrito story is just awesome. Don't pray for patience, 'cause then you get experiences like this! ;)

Crandell Fam said...

Man, I just DON'T see potential in anything. I always just want new. But you are a genius, and I wish I had 1/4 of your talent. Help me out!!