Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Trash to Treasure Tuesday

Well crap, it's 9:00 already and I haven't posted.  Ok, I'll be honest, I sorta forgot it was Tuesday.

My life seems totally unpredictable and wierd lately.  Like I'm spinning in circles faster and faster and not really accomplishing much of anything.

I spent the weekend attending all of the performances of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee at MCC.  Jere directed it and it was an absolutely FANTASTIC show.  I laughed til I cried many times.  When it was all over, I was actually very sad, and it wasn't even my show.  I'm so proud of him and all his efforts.  But anyway....many late nights from that, and then last night we went and saw Avenue Q at Phoenix Theatre.  Not gonna lie, I just really don't care for that show.  It was fine, they did a good enough job.  I just don't think it's a great show.  However, we did get to hang out with our rockstar friend Taylor afterward and that is always a treat!

So yeah, I've got a transformation for you, and I actually quite like how this one turned out.

You'd think with this being Spring Break, i'd be on a re-do rampage.  But alas, projects are just sitting there staring me in the face.  Meh.....there is always tomorrow.

Right...so I bought this ugly octagany mirror at 1/2 price Sat. at Goodwill.  When i saw it, I specifically chose it for a jewelry board I wanted to make for my amazing friend Jen.  She's had a lot of crapola in her life, and she just deserves alllll good things.  So, if I can make her something pretty and functional that she wants, then hey, I will do my part.


BEFORE:

Oops!  My bad.  I apparently forgot to take a real before picture.  But, you get the idea.  Bad etched flowers in mirror.  Whoever owned it before had clearly tried to "improve" it with a fairly bad paint job in a minty green.  Soooo


So gave it a quick coat of Heirloom White.


Had my handy friend Todd cut out the ply for me.


Attached the material.  And OH how I LOVE this material.  And we got this.


AFTER:

You can't really tell, but I made the fabric flower on there, and it was my first one and I was pretty proud of myself for it.  Anyway....there are little cup hooks screwed in, which you can't see.  I sorta love how it turned out.


Just to show how it looks with some jewelry on it.  And that ribbon is there for hair accessories to go on.


Sooo......what do you think?

Treasures,

Allyson

6 comments:

Chera Pierson said...

So cute! I am going to start re-doing some stuff that we have when there isn't any snow outside and it starts warming up! I love all of the things that you have refinished!!!

ailinh said...

Looks great! I am handy-woman challenged. But this has inspired me to maybe try a little harder to make something look good from old products.

alison said...

yep....i am absolutely and unabashedly stealing that idea. and i DO love the fabric so very much! but really??? spring break in march? what kind of crazy town you livin' in, yo? actually...i quite jealous since we won't have ours until the last week in april. :(

Kristina P. said...

That is so cute! I need a cool jewelry hanger.

The Atomic Mom said...

Very cute. You're talent amazes me.

I'm so glad you've mentioned Ave Q. I thought I was the only one who did not like it.

Sabes said...

Love love LOVE!! I miss seeing you guys, and last night made me realize that even more! Boo on a busy life!