Sunday, August 22, 2010

Did I just get Pimped?

We interupt our regularly scheduled Memory Monday 9th grade post to bring you this OTHER Memory. (mostly because I can't get to my journal to recall 9th grade, AND my UH-MAZING pics aren't scanned yet...so it'll have to wait).




The year was 1997, I had shed the "BOB" and was living back home and working as a receptionist/secretary for my Daddio.  And this is where the story begins.

As a receptionist I answered the phones...OBVI.  I was a phone answering rockstar.  I loved doing it, and the people loved me.  I was "friends" with the customers that called in, some more than others.

Clark (not his reall name) was a buyer for a MAJOR exercise equipment company.  They were one of our biggest customers and he called a lot.  Clark LURVED (and by lurve I mean, he just enjoyed chatting with me and I him) me.  He would call and we would generally have a 15 to 20 minute conversation BEFORE I'd ever patch him through to my brother (it was his account). 

Well the time finally came that Clark was going to come to Arizona for a visit to our company.  Yay, we'd finally get to meet face to face.

At the time I was attending college part time and working part time, sharing the job with my cousin.  So, on the day of Clarks arrival I was at school.  I remember VERY clearly that I was in a Biology Lab.  I HATE Biology, so how could I forget?

There I sat, bored out of my mind, counting down the hour when suddenly appearing in my doorway were TWO of my cousins.  They presented a note to my teacher (yeah, I totally rocked the junior high moment there) and I was excused from class.  Apparently my one cousin, Danielle that worked with me had been sent to retrieve me; serendipity hit and she ran into another of our cousins on campus and she helped her find my class. 

What was going on?  Why were my cousins retrieving me from school?  This was all so odd!  This WAS the days before cell phones, so manual retrieval was necessary. 

As it turns out, I was being SUMMONED by my Father, or more accurately by Clark.  Clark the customer had requested MY presence and my Dad totally obliged.  He tracked me down and pulled me out of school to go and essentially be Clarks "friend" for the day.

I remember thinking it was a little wierd, but sort of fun at the same time.  My company was wanted, AND hey, free food was involved.

Please keep in mind that Clark was a wee little Filipino man, while I am a 5' 10" girl of "stature."  And there we were..traipsing around the greater Phoenix area.

First we went to the Heard Museum, my one and only time visiting there. We meandered around the place checking out the exhibits and making awkward small talk (why is it that once you have to talk face to face all the ease of conversation disappears).  After that we went and got hot chocolates or something random at a little stand, which was followed by a return to his hotel so he could change, or get something and then we concluded our day with dinner at a Mexican Restraunt.

It was the one and only time I ever saw Clark.  He came, we hung, he left and that was it.

I never thought too much about it until recently.  For some reason this "memory" popped into my head and all i could think was......that was wierd right?  That wasn't normal. That really happened didn't it.  And where the hell was my brother...this was HIS client.  Really Eric, where were you?  Man, my life has some RANDOM moments in it.

But the most important question the I have to ask is......

Hey, did my Dad totally pimp me out?


Bitches and Ho's,


Allyson




15 comments:

Lana said...

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious!! This was a story you hadn't told me before, but it's a gem. A GEM. I love the picture of you and the A/C unit also.

Seriously, I cannot stop laughing about your dad pimping you out!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

alison said...

heheheheh! whatever it takes to make that sale ;)

and i'm loving the visual i'm getting on the "wee" philipino man and the woman of "stature"!

jen said...

Was your bio grade affected?

Rita Templeton said...

Big pimpin' fa sho! But you handled it with grace and class. Okay, maybe not CLASS, since you technically ditched Bio to be pimped ... :)

The Atomic Mom said...

I have to say that when I was also a Glamorous Secratary, I too had the gift of gab with the customers. Phil my Boss loved me for it, because I usually softened them up when they were mad before I'd let them talk to him. And by the way, I totally remember that hair cut. :)

Dixiechick said...

For reals? Have you talked to dad about this? I'm appalled. He had you fetched from class?!?!?!?! And then he wonders why it took you 10 years to graduate from college...you were too busy workin' the streets!

Sabes said...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! I am choking on my laughter as I read this! Seriously?!

Aimee said...

You totally got pimped. That is perfect!!! Great story.

Kristina P. said...

That is awesome! I wish my dad was a pimp. Sob.

Tara L. Stradling said...

This post and Dixie's comment have me in hysterics! Funny Shumway girls (LOVE YOU ALL!)...

Bryson Jones said...

Ha, I read this and was like Gpa did WHat?! That's funny. Oohhhh I have a story for you something similar from my Tower Printing days. mmm perhaps in person. Anywho, loved it.

Poppy said...

It became a little scandalous when you went back to his hotel...I hope you at least made time and a half!

Unknown said...

You TOTALLY got pimped!!!

::snort::

Not even a photo of the two of you together??? Man! :-)

deveney said...

This is a funny story! :)

Reading about you working for your dad reminded me of a funny (not at the time) story of when I worked there for a couple weeks while they were in the process of moving offices. Every Christmas Eve I still think about it...

DianD said...

How come I never heard about this. Dana could share some experiences with dad's set-ups! Seems he felt sorry for people and wanted them to enjoy good company! Such a funny story! Yeah! And the college graduation?!?!?... need to set the record straight! :)